What is Control
Control is an add-on for our Classic Account costing £10 per month, which can automatically stop a transaction going ahead if it will take your account balance into an Unplanned Overdraft. For example:
- Using your debit card in shops or online (including cash withdrawals)
- Direct Debits (for example, mortgages, loans or rent)
- Standing orders.
This safety feature prevents any Unplanned Overdraft fees and keeps a limit on your spending. It’s ideal for people who often do not have the available funds to make payments and prevents unexpected charges for unplanned borrowing.
There are some exceptions to this, which mean you could still go into an Unplanned Overdraft, including:
- If you've used your debit card somewhere where a retailer can't check with us, like on an aeroplane.
- If the Planned Overdraft limit on your account is reduced and you don't have enough money to keep within your new limit.
- The debiting of account fees, such as the £10 a month Control fee or overdraft usage fees.
Summary of fees that will apply with Control
|Fee type||Classic Account with Control|
|Monthly Control account fee||£10|
|Monthly Overdraft Usage Fee, if you exceed the planned overdraft interest and fee free amount (up to £25), during a monthly billing period.
|Unplanned Overdraft daily fees||No daily fees|
|Returned Item Fee||No Returned Item Fee|
If you use a Planned Overdraft limit of £1,200 on our Classic Account the overdraft interest rate we will charge on the first £25 will be 0% EAR variable and a Monthly Overdraft Usage Fee will not apply. The overdraft interest rate on the next £1,175 will be 19.94% EAR variable and a Monthly Overdraft Usage Fee of £6 will apply.
Important information about Control:
- There is a £10 overdraft buffer on your Classic Account, so if your balance is £10 or less, you will be charged debit interest on that amount but will not be charged any Unplanned Overdraft fees.
- With Control interest will still be charged if you go into a Planned or Unplanned Overdraft.
- If you have any unprocessed payments or outstanding fees and charges when you register, these will still be processed (even if it takes you into an Unplanned Overdraft). In this case the usual fees and charges will apply. We offer all our customers a grace period to avoid any overdraft fees; simply pay in enough money to cover any pending payments by midnight on the date the payment is due. The money needs to be immediately available to use.
More information about Control
Registering for Control
Glossary of common terms
A Planned Overdraft is an agreed amount we allow you to go overdrawn on your account, which you arrange with us in advance. It is possible to have a Planned Overdraft with Control in place.
An Unplanned Overdraft is an overdraft that is not arranged with us in advance. In most cases, Control will prevent you from going into Unplanned Overdraft. The Control brochure provides details of the limited exceptions to this. In the unlikely event that you go into Unplanned Overdraft, Control means you won’t pay any Unplanned Overdraft fees but you will be charged interest.
Monthly Overdraft Usage Fee
There is a Monthly Overdraft Usage Fee of £6 if you use a Planned Overdraft of more than the interest and fee free amount on your account at any time during your monthly billing period. You’ll only pay this fee once in a monthly billing period no matter how many times you go overdrawn in that month.
Unplanned Overdraft daily fee
This is a fee we would normally charge you for using an Unplanned Overdraft. The amount of the fee is worked out at the end of each day (including weekends and bank holidays) on the balance of your Unplanned Overdraft. We would normally charge you a maximum of eight daily fees in a monthly billing period. With Control, no Unplanned Overdraft daily fee applies, but you will be charged interest.
Returned Item Fee
If you do not have enough available money to make a payment and we do not agree to give you or extend an Unplanned Overdraft, then we will decline your request (we will write to tell you of this), you will not be able to make that payment and normally we would charge you a Returned Item Fee of £10 for each item. With Control, you will not be charged Returned Item Fees.