How to complain
Let us know if you are dissatisfied with our products or service.
If you have a complaint, contact us as soon as possible so that we can talk to you and put things right. Over 90% of customers who contact us about their complaint by visiting branch or by calling us, have their complaint resolved to their satisfaction there and then.
Find out how to complain about Payment Protection Insurance (PPI).
Visit any of our branches to talk to a member of the team.
Call our Telephone Banking Service, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, on
0800 072 8668.
If you've a hearing impairment you can use textphone number 08456 00 17 50. Lines are open 9am - 5.30pm, 7 days a week. You'll need specialised equipment to use this service.
If you're calling from abroad or would prefer not to use the 0845 number, you can
call us on +44 0131 278 3729.
Alternative ways to complain
If you’d prefer not to raise your complaint in branch or by calling us, you can complain online, or by writing to us. It will take longer for your complaint to reach us by post.
Complete our online complaint form. Once you've completed the form, one of our colleagues will call you back as soon as possible.
For security reasons, we can not discuss your accounts by email. Please make sure that you include a telephone number (providing a mobile number where possible) that we can call you on. You can specify a time of day for the call that suits you.
Please don't use this form to submit a query or complaint about Payment Protection Insurance.
Write to us
Please ensure that you include the following information in your letter so that we can resolve your complaint as quickly as possible:
- Your account details – this enables us to find the account that your complaint relates to.
- As much information about the complaint as you feel able to give
- Are there any particular actions you wish us to take to resolve your complaint? If so, please include them.
- Your telephone number and the best time to contact you so that we can call you once we receive your letter.
Write to us at Bank of Scotland, PO Box 761, Leeds, LS1 9JF. To help us resolve your complaint quicker, please include your telephone number (providing a mobile number where possible) and advise when the most suitable time is for us to call you.
Claims Management Companies (CMCs)
We will treat your complaint in exactly the same way whether we receive the complaint directly from you or from a Claims Management Company (CMC). You do not need to use a CMC and they will typically charge an upfront fee or take a porportion of any compensation you may be due. By coming directly to us you will not be disadvantaged.
How we will handle your complaint
- We will do all we can to resolve your complaint on the same day.
- If we do not manage to resolve the complaint within 5 working days we'll write to give you an update and let you know when you can expect a full response.
- Once all the details of the complaint have been investigated, (we may call you for further details) we will issue a ‘final response’ to your complaint.
- The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) allow 8 weeks for us to resolve complaints but we will aim to get your complaint resolved well before this deadline.
If you are still not happy
We will issue a final response to your complaint when we have completed our investigations. If you are dissatisfied with the final response, you can ask the Financial Ombudsman Service to look at your complaint - provided you have tried to resolve the matter directly with us first. They will also look at the case if we have taken more than 8 weeks to issue the final response.
We hope you won't need to contact the Financial Ombudsman Service but if you do, please find their contact details below:
The Financial Ombudsman Service
South Quay Plaza
183 Marsh Wall
Telephone: 08450 80 18 00