How to complain
More than 85% of our customers who make their complaint in branch or over the phone, have their complaint resolved to their satisfaction there and then.
Other ways to complain
Write to us
Write to us at Bank of Scotland, PO Box 761, Leeds, LS1 9JF. To help us resolve your complaint quicker, please include:
- Your account details – this enables us to find the account that your complaint relates to.
- As much information about the complaint as you feel able to give.
- Are there any particular actions you wish us to take to resolve your complaint? If so, please include them.
- Your telephone number and the best time to contact you so that we can call you once we receive your letter.
You can e-mail us
Although we provide you with an e-mail address, you need to be aware that e-mail is not a secure way to get in touch. You might feel more comfortable using our secure online complaint form, where you can provide us with all your details securely in one go.
If you decide to e-mail us, do not quote any sensitive account information such as your account numbers, we will not be liable for any lost data you supply. But to help us resolve your complaint as quickly as possible, please include:
- Your full name
- First line of your address and postcode
- The banking product your complaint is about
- As much information about the complaint as you feel able to give (excluding account numbers and sensitive account information)
- Any particular actions you should wish us to take to resolve your complaint
- A contact number and the best times to contact you, as we will call you once we have received your e-mail.
Mail us at: email@example.com
Claims Management Companies (CMCs)
We will treat your complaint in exactly the same way whether we receive the complaint directly from you or from a Claims Management Company (CMC). You do not need to use a CMC and they will typically charge an upfront fee or take a proportion of any compensation you may be due. By coming directly to us you will not be disadvantaged.
How we will handle your complaint
- We will do all we can to resolve your complaint on the same day.
- If we do not manage to resolve the complaint within 5 working days we'll write to give you an update and let you know when you can expect a full response.
- Once all the details of the complaint have been investigated, (we may call you for further details) we will issue a ‘final response’ to your complaint.
- The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) allow 8 weeks for us to resolve complaints but we will aim to get your complaint resolved well before this deadline.
If you are still not happy
Bank of Scotland is a member of the Financial Ombudsman Service, which offers an independent review service. If you are still not happy with the agreement we have proposed, you can ask the Financial Ombudsman Service to look at your case for free.
If you have a problem with your agreement, please try to resolve it with us in the first instance. If you are not happy with the way in which we handled your complaint or the result, you may be able to complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service. If you do not take up your problem with us first you will not be entitled to complain to the Ombudsman. We can provide details of how to contact the Ombudsman:
The Financial Ombudsman Service
Telephone: 0800 023 4 567
Please note: You may be able to submit a claim through the European Online Dispute Resolution Platform if you live outside the United Kingdom or if you prefer not to deal directly with the Financial Ombudsman Service.