Common enquiries

Here are some questions we are frequently asked about our Bank of Scotland Home Insurance Select policy.

  • 1.
    I submitted a claim – can I arrange repairs now?

    Thank you for letting us know about your claim.

    We will need you to provide some more information so we can progress your claim. Please send us photographs of the damage and receipts or invoices that prove you owned the item and its value.

    If your claim is due to the recent bad weather you must also send cost estimates for repairs.

    Please send all the information in one email and include your policy number, name and address. Our email address is

    Once you have emailed us, please wait for us to contact you before you have any repairs done. We’re reviewing each claim to make sure we can get everyone the help they need.

    We're dealing with a high volume of claims due to the recent bad weather. Because of this it may take slightly longer for us to contact you than normal.

    Back to top
  • 2.
    Do you offer different levels of cover?

    Yes. We recognise that everyone's home insurance needs are different. That's why we offer Home Insurance Select with three levels of cover for you to choose from: Bronze, Silver and Gold. 

    Back to top
  • 3.
    What does buildings insurance cover?

    Buildings insurance covers the structure of your home and its outbuildings. This means your roof, walls, windows and ceilings.  It also means permanent fixtures like your fitted kitchen and bathroom. It covers you against damage caused by things like fire, flood and storm, as well as subsidence and vandalism.

    Our buildings insurance covers the full rebuild cost of your home. And if you choose Silver or Gold cover, it includes Accidental damage and Legal Expenses as standard.

    Back to top
  • 4.
    What does contents insurance cover?

    Contents insurance covers things in your home, and its outbuildings and in the open within its boundaries. It's for the items you could take with you if you moved house - like furniture, clothing, electronic goods, carpets and curtains. It covers you against theft as well as damage caused by events like fire, smoke, storm and flood. 

    Our contents insurance covers you for up to £50,000, £100,000 or £250,000 depending on the level of cover you choose. If you choose Silver or Gold cover, includes Accidental damage and Legal Expenses as standard.

    High value items worth between £2,000 and £20,000 each covered as part of your overall contents limit (up to a total of £50,000), as long as you name on your policy.

    Back to top
  • 5.
    Is my home insurance policy new for old?

    We'll replace an item with a new item on a like for like basis. This means we'll try to replace it with an exact match. If we can't find an exact match, we'll replace it with the nearest equivalent. This means an item of the same quality and specification. 

    If we can't find an exact match of the nearest equivalent, we'll decide on how much to pay. This will be based on an expert opinion of how much it was worth before it was lost, stolen or damaged.

    Back to top
  • 6.
    Is my PC, laptop, iPad, tablet etc. covered under home insurance?

    Our contents insurance covers your gadgets and tech items worth less than £2,000 when they are in your home. Items that are worth more than £2,000 (up to £20,000) each are covered as part of your overall contents limit as long as you name them on your policy.

    If you want to cover your items when you're out and about, you'll need to add Away from home cover. And if you choose Silver or Gold cover, your items are covered against accidental damage as standard.

    Back to top
  • 7.
    Do you cover mobile phones?

    Yes, mobile phones are covered in the home as part of your contents policy. They'll be covered when out and about if you select Away from home cover. And if you choose Silver or Gold, they'll be covered against accidental damage as standard. 

    For mobile phones worth more than £2,000 each, you will need to name them on your policy. 

    Back to top
  • 8.
    What if I have other insurance elsewhere?

    Before you start a claim, check if you have other kinds of cover that could help, like gadget or mobile phone insurance. It might have a lower excess to pay.

    Back to top
  • 9.
    What are high value items?

    High value items are items that cost more than £2,000 each. To cover these, you will need to name them on your policy. Furniture which isn't antique and home appliances don't need to be named, even if they cost more than £2,000.

    Back to top
  • 10.
    Do you cover students' contents when they're away from home?

    Yes. If you choose Away from home cover, your contents are covered if they're lost or stolen when temporarily away from home, anywhere in the world. The limit you choose includes students' contents when in student accommodation, up to a maximum of £5,000. They're also covered for damage caused by things like fire, smoke, storm or flood. 

    It also covers accidental damage if you have chosen Silver or Gold cover. 

    Back to top
  • 11.
    Do you cover my contents when I'm moving home?

    We'll pay claims where your contents are stolen or damaged while you're moving home. We'll do this if they're being moved within the British Isles by a professional removal firm. They'll also be covered while they're being stored by the firm for up to three days.

    It also covers accidental damage if you have chosen Silver or Gold cover. 

    Back to top
  • 12.
    Do you cover personal belongings outside the home or when I go on holiday?

    Yes. If you add Away from home cover to your policy, we'll cover your belongings anywhere in the world if they're lost or stolen. 

    Back to top
  • 13.
    What is an excess?

    An excess is the amount that you pay towards the cost of a claim. For example, if you have storm damage to your roof that will cost £1,000 to repair and your policy has an excess of £100, you’ll be asked to pay the excess of £100 but can claim for £900 (the cost minus the excess). The excesses that apply to your policy will vary, depending on the covers you’ve selected and the excess amounts you’ve chosen.

    Back to top
  • 14.
    When will my first payment be taken?

    When you buy your policy, you'll be able to select which day of the month you'd prefer to make your monthly payment on.

    Back to top
  • 15.
    What do you mean by a 'paid claim'?

    By 'paid claim' we mean any occasion when you've received a payment or had something fixed or replaced.

    Back to top
  • 16.
    What do I do if I am struggling to pay for my home insurance?

    We know some people can have money problems at some point in their life. If you're having trouble keeping up with the payments, we might be able to help. Please don't ignore the problem; give us a call on:

    0345 300 5180

    (Lines are open Monday-Friday 8am-6pm, Saturday 9am-1pm)

    We might be able to give you more time to pay, like giving you a payment holiday, or changing the date you make your payments. We can also discuss your needs and may be able to offer you a different level of cover.

    Some other things to consider:

    • Pay all essential bills first, such as mortgage, utility bills (electricity, gas, water), insurance, council tax and food.
    • Check whether you can get any state benefits or tax credits which could help increase your income.
    • Seek independent debt advice, such as from Citizens Advice, Step Change Debt Charity; or National Debtline. They may be able to help you manage your finances.
    Back to top

Bank of Scotland Home Insurance Select is underwritten by Lloyds Bank General Insurance Limited. Bank of Scotland plc. Registered in Scotland No. SC327000. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under registration number 169628.