With our Classic Account you will receive all of the usual current account features you’d expect
And even more with Vantage
Earn up to 3% AER variable interest on your Classic Account when you add Vantage for free. Just pay at least £1,000 into your account each calendar month and keep your account in credit (that is above £0) during the monthly billing period.
If you use a Planned Overdraft of £1,200 on our Classic Account the overdraft interest rate we charge on the first £25 will be 0% EAR variable. The overdraft interest rate on the next £1,175 will be 19.94% EAR variable and a Monthly Overdraft Usage Fee of £6 will apply.
• No charge for everyday transactions when you’re in credit.
• A Bank of Scotland Visa debit card that can be used in shops, online, over the phone and to withdraw cash from ATMs worldwide. There’s no charge to withdraw cash from any of our wide network of Cashpoint® machines (a charge may apply at other ATMs).
• A Planned Overdraft that can help when you need some extra cash. Don’t worry, it’s quick and easy to apply for and set one up through Internet Banking. Once approved you can access the money straightaway. If you do slip into the red unexpectedly, we may agree to cover your payments with an Unplanned Overdraft. However, there are charges and interest for Planned and Unplanned Overdrafts. Overdrafts are subject to status and repayable in full on demand.
• Interest and fee free Planned Overdraft up to £25 (subject to application and approval) - how much we lend is subject to our assessment of your circumstances. You must be 18 or over. Overdrafts are repayable in full on demand.
• A £10 Unplanned Overdraft buffer - no overdraft fees or interest to pay if you go into an Unplanned Overdraft by £10 or less.
• Mobile, Internet and Telephone Banking. Secure services where you can do everything from checking balances and payments to transferring money, and a whole lot more.
Classic Account add-ons
Vantage – interest at no extra cost
Vantage is a free addition for your current account giving you the benefit of credit interest on your current account. Vantage interest rates are tiered on balances up to £5,000 when you meet the Vantage conditions.
Control – make it even easier to manage your money
For £10 a month Control can help you stay on top of your finances and avoid Unplanned Overdraft borrowing. There are some exceptions to this, which mean you could still go into an Unplanned Overdraft, including, if you've used your Visa debit card somewhere where a retailer can't check with us, like on an aeroplane, and if the Planned Overdraft limit on your account is reduced and you don't have enough money to keep within your new limit
Save the Change® - spend and save at the same time
Sign-up to Save the Change® and as long as you are in credit , every time you make a purchase with your Classic Visa debit card, the difference will be rounded up to the nearest pound and transferred from your current account into an eligible Bank of Scotland savings account.
It’s simple to either add a second party to your existing Classic Account, or open a new joint account.
• Each person can use the account features and benefits without needing the approval of the other.
• Both people named on the account are individually and jointly responsible for any debts on the joint account.
• Credit reference agencies often create a financial link or association between people who have a joint account. This means that the financial situation of the other person named on the account could affect your credit rating.
• We cannot add another person to an account with an overdraft online, to add a person to an account with an overdraft visit us in branch.
Follow these steps to open a new joint Classic Account
Step 1 - Open a new Classic Account in your name.
Step 2 - Once the account is open you will be given the option to make it joint, at this point you can invite a second person to join the account – they can either complete the form immediately, or you can request an email is sent to them with details of how to join the account.
Step 3 - Once the other person has completed the application we will send you an activation code.
Step 4 - Enter the activation code and we will add the other person to the account. We will confirm the join to you via email.
Important overdraft information
As part of opening a new joint account (step 1), you may be offered an overdraft in your sole name. Please do not accept this, wait until you receive email confirmation that the joint account application is complete (step 4), then you can apply for an overdraft in joint names.
Add somebody to an existing Classic Account
To add somebody to your existing account you can apply via Internet Banking. Use the apply now button below to log in then you will be given the option to make your account a joint account.
Important overdraft information
We cannot add another person to an account with an overdraft online, to add a person to an account with an overdraft visit us in branch.
Alternatively you can make an appointment at your local branch.
Please be aware we are making some changes from 22 November 2015 to the conditions of our bank accounts, read the Changes to your Bank Account Conditions section of the Bank of Scotland Bank Account conditions for full details.
Apply for the Classic Account today
As part of our online application, you'll need to confirm that you:
- do not have a current Classic Account with us
(unless applying for an additional account)
- are aged 18 or over
- are a UK resident
- are an EU national or have permission to stay
in the UK for at least 12 months