Our simplest current account, perfect for starting out with us.
- With Vantage, earn 3% AER (2.96% Gross) variable interest on your balance of £3,000 - £5,000. Vantage is a free add-on to your account. Simply pay at least £1000 into your account each calendar month, stay in credit (above £0) during the monthly billing period, and pay at least two different Direct Debits from your account each calendar month.
- Access to our Internet Banking and Mobile Banking, 24-hour telephone services as well as any of our branches in Scotland.
- A great range of tools you can add to your account, such as Control.
- A VISA debit card enabled for contactless payments.
- Free mobile text alerts.
Please note, with Vantage lower interest rates apply to lower tiers1. No interest is paid on amounts over £5,000. Interest is paid monthly.
Applying for a Classic Account today
Apply for a Classic Account using our simple application form and we should be able to give you a decision within 10 minutes.
You can add Vantage during your Classic Account application.
This account comes with up to £25 interest and fee free Planned Overdraft (subject to application and approval).
Any overdraft we agree is repayable on demand, including any fees or interest and subject to application and approval. You must be 18 years old or over to apply.
Find out more detailed information on overdrafts such as fees, charges and managing your overdraft limit.
If you use a Planned Overdraft of £1,200 on our Classic Account the overdraft interest rate we charge on the first £25 will be 0% EAR variable. The overdraft interest rate on the next £1,175 will be 19.89% EAR variable and a Monthly Overdraft Usage Fee of £6 will apply.
Classic Account tools
For £10 a month Control can help you stay on top of your finances and avoid Unplanned Overdraft borrowing. There are some exceptions to this, which mean you could still go into an Unplanned Overdraft, including, if you've used your debit card somewhere where a retailer can't check with us, like on an aeroplane, and if the Planned Overdraft limit on your account is reduced and you don't have enough money to keep within your new limit.
Earn up to 15% cashback with Everyday Offers and the chance to win one of your purchases back up to the value of £500 on a monthly basis with ‘It's on Us’.
To be eligible for Everyday Offers you need to be over 18, have a Bank of Scotland current account, a Bank of Scotland debit and/or credit card and be registered for Internet Banking. Once you’ve activated Everyday Offers, just activate each offer to earn cashback on your next purchase. You can activate 'It’s On Us‘ in the Everyday Offers section of Internet Banking.
Save the Change®
Sign-up to Save the Change® and as long as you are in credit, every time you make a purchase with your debit card, the difference will be rounded up to the nearest pound and transferred from your current account into an eligible Bank of Scotland savings account.
- Two people using one account - a simple way to share spends and see them on one monthly statement
- Both account holders get a Visa debit card
- Both account holders can also separately set up and manage Internet Banking
Open a new joint account with us
- Add the other account holder by filling out a short form at the end of your current account application.
- If you are applying for a new current account online, you may be offered an overdraft just in your name - please do not accept this. You will need to apply for an overdraft once the other account holder is added.
Alternatively, make an appointment at your nearest branch.
Don’t forget to take identification and if the other account holder is not an existing Bank of Scotland customer they will need to provide identification - view acceptable forms of identification.
Add another person to your existing Classic Account
If you are registered for Internet Banking, log in and simply follow the on-screen instructions in our online form.
Looking to switch your joint account to us?
Ensure you add the other account holder to your new account first before completing your switch.
Please be aware of the following:
- Both account holders must be aged 18 or over
- Each person can use the account features and benefits without needing the approval of the other.
- Both people named on the account are individually and jointly responsible for any debts on the joint account.
- Credit reference agencies often create a financial link or association between people who have a joint account. This means that the financial situation of the other person named on the account could affect your credit rating.
- We cannot add another person to an account with an overdraft online, to add a person to an account with an overdraft visit us in branch.
Current Account Switch Guarantee
We have designed the Current Account Switch Service to let you switch your current account from one bank or building society to another in a simple, reliable and stress-free way. It will only take seven working days. As your new current-account provider we offer the following guarantee.
- The service is free to use and you can choose and agree your switch date with us.
- We will take care of moving all your payments going out (for example, your Direct Debits and standing orders) and those coming in (for example, your salary).
- If you have money in your old account, we will transfer it to your new account on your switch date.
- We will arrange for payments accidentally made to your old account to be automatically redirected to your new account. We will also contact the sender and give them your new account details.
- If there are any issues in making the switch, we will contact you before your switch date.
- If anything goes wrong with the switch, as soon as we are told, we will refund any interest (paid or lost) and charges made on either your old or new current accounts as a result of this failure.
For more information and FAQs, please read the Account Switching Guide (PDF).