What is it?
Mobile phones have become so much more than a gadget for calling people on. Now we can take pictures, record video, check email and surf the web. These labour saving gadgets can store our music, films and even let us carry out financial transactions.
All this means keeping your phone safe from online attack is more important than ever.
Wireless networks use radio waves instead of wires to transmit data, which makes them more vulnerable to attack. Find out more about staying safe whilst using a wireless network.
Avoid mobile malware
- Check out what software your phone provider offers to protect against viruses and online hazards
- Keep your Bluetooth connection switched off unless you want to share information with others
- Do not accept any applications from unknown sources
- Exercise caution when opening MMS (picture messaging) attachments, they may be carrying malware. Don’t open an MMS attachment unless you know what it is or it is something that you are expecting to receive
- Make use of your mobile phones security features, such as setting a Personal Identification Number
- Treat mobile security as seriously as you would with your home computer
If you receive an email or text message that asks for your personal information, do not click on any link or provide any Internet Banking or telephone banking log on details. Please forward suspicious emails or details of text messages that ask for your personal information to email@example.com and then delete it from your inbox without responding. This information will be used to help reduce fraud online.
Protect yourself and your computer or phone by having up-to-date anti-virus software, operating systems and firewalls.
Follow our surf safely rules when accessing the internet on any computer, phone or mobile device.
More information on mobile phone security can be found at Get Safe Online*.
Get Safe Online is a joint initiative between the Government, law enforcement, leading businesses and the public sector and provides with free, independent advice on how to use the internet confidently, safely and securely.
*Links to external sites are provided as part of our commitment to making online banking safe and secure. However, we cannot accept responsibility or liability for the content or availability of external sites. We cannot guarantee that any software downloaded from these sites will work, or be free from viruses or malicious code.