Free everyday banking when you stay in credit. You could earn up to 1.50% AER (1.49% gross p.a.) interest when you add Vantage for free.
Features and benefits
- Earn interest – you could earn up to 1.50% Annual Equivalent RateThis illustrates what the interest rate would be if interest was paid and compounded once each year. This allows you to compare more easily what return you can expect over time. (1.49% gross p.a.) variable interest on the part of your balance between £4,000 and £5,000 with our free Vantage add on. Lower balances will earn a lower rate. You'll need to meet some conditions to earn interest. Please read these carefully.
- Up to 15% Cashback – with Everyday Offers when you pay by credit/debit card or Direct Debit with selected retailers.
- Save the Change – round up your card payments to the nearest pound to save as you spend.
- Mobile Banking app – highly secure and packed with features to make banking fast and convenient wherever you are.
- Contactless VISA debit card – make payments quickly and easily.
Our highly rated Mobile Banking app
Our banking app is secure and packed with great features to save you time.
- Quick, secure login – with the option to use Touch ID or Face ID.
- Fast, easy payments – pay people and bills on the go.
- Freeze your card – control where your card is used, and add temporary freezes if you misplace it.
- Update your contact details - change your address, phone number or email address any time in the app.
- Account notifications - get alerts straight to your mobile device, including when money goes in or out of your account.
An arranged overdraft can act as a short term safety net. You can use it to borrow money up to an agreed limit through your bank account.
- Setting up an arranged overdraft is free and you’ll only pay daily arranged overdraft interest if you use it.
- If you use your arranged overdraft but pay it back before the end of the day, then you won’t pay any arranged overdraft interest for that day.
- Applying for an arranged overdraft - When you have applied for this account, at the end of the application you can apply for an arranged overdraft which you can add right away. You can also apply for one later.
- Amending an arranged overdraft - You can reduce or remove your arranged overdraft at any time through Mobile Banking, Internet Banking or Telephone Banking or by visiting your branch. But you must repay anything you owe if you want to remove an arranged overdraft or anything over the new reduced limit you want. You can also apply to increase it. This application won't affect your credit score.
- Helpful tools - You can use our eligibility checker and cost calculator to check your eligibility and calculate the cost of an arranged overdraft.
- If you don't have enough money in your account or available arranged overdraft to make a payment, we may either let you borrow through an unarranged overdraft or refuse to make the payment. Missing payments and using an unarranged overdraft can damage your credit score, please get in touch with us as we may be able to help you.
All overdrafts are subject to application and repayable on demand. You must be 18 or over to apply.
Arranged overdrafts are subject to application and approval and repayable on demand. You must be 18 or over to apply. Arranged overdraft limits and interest rates vary based on your individual circumstances.
Find out more detailed information on overdrafts such as interest rates, charges and managing your arranged overdraft limit.
More information about the Classic Account
- Bank of Scotland Bank Account conditionsopens in a new window (pdf, 180.2 KB)
- Classic Account Welcome Packopens in a new window (pdf, 4.6 MB)
- Fees and chargesopens in a new window (web)
- Fee Information Documentopens in a new window (pdf, 157.6 KB)
Earn variable credit interest on balances of £1 - £5,000 by adding Vantage.
Vantage is free to add to your Classic Account. You could earn 0.60% Annual Equivalent RateThis illustrates what the interest rate would be if interest was paid and compounded once each year. This allows you to compare more easily what return you can expect over time./gross p.a. variable on balances between £1 and £3,999, and 1.50% Annual Equivalent RateThis illustrates what the interest rate would be if interest was paid and compounded once each year. This allows you to compare more easily what return you can expect over time. (1.49% gross p.a.) variable on balances between £4,000 and £5,000. You won’t earn interest on any balance over £5,000. Simply add it when you apply.
To earn interest, each calendar month you need to pay at least £1,000 into your account, keep your balance above £0, and pay out at least two different Direct Debits.
Interest is paid monthly. You’ll never be charged for having Vantage.
Visit the Vantage page for more information.
Earn up to 15% cashback with Everyday Offers.
To be eligible for Everyday Offers you need to be over 18, have a Bank of Scotland current account, a Bank of Scotland debit and/or credit card and be registered for Internet Banking. Once you’ve activated Everyday Offers, just activate each offer to earn cashback on your next purchase.
A joint account is a simple way for two people to share the same bank account. It gives both members the same ownership rights to the account. As well as:
- A Visa Debit Card each
- Joint access to set up and manage online banking
- One monthly statement
- If requested a cheque book each
Opening a joint account
You have two options when you are looking to open a joint account:
Online and In-Branch - One of you can get the process started by opening an account online. You will both then need to pop into branch to convert it into a joint account.
In-Branch - Both of you can open your joint account from start to finish at one of our branches.
Please ensure you bring the correct forms of identification to your branch appointment - view acceptable forms of identification.
If you area an existing Bank of Scotland account holder, a bank card can be used as identification.
We have designed the Current Account Switch Service to let you switch your current account from one bank or building society to another in a simple, reliable and stress-free way. It will only take seven working days. As your new current-account provider we offer the following guarantee.
- The service is free to use and you can choose and agree your switch date with us.
- We will take care of moving all your payments going out (for example, your Direct Debits and standing orders) and those coming in (for example, your salary).
- If you have money in your old account, we will transfer it to your new account on your switch date.
- We will arrange for payments accidentally made to your old account to be automatically redirected to your new account. We will also contact the sender and give them your new account details.
- If there are any issues in making the switch, we will contact you before your switch date.
- If anything goes wrong with the switch, as soon as we are told, we will refund any interest (paid or lost) and charges made on either your old or new current accounts as a result of this failure.
For more information and FAQs, please read the Account Switching Guide (PDF, 2.33MB)
AER is Annual Equivalent Rate - this illustrates what the interest rate would be if interest was paid and compounded once each year. This allows individuals to compare more easily what return they can expect over time.
Gross rate means that no tax will be automatically deducted from interest on your behalf. You are responsible for paying any tax due to HMRC.
Account opening is subject to our assessment of your circumstances and to you meeting all eligibility conditions. You need to be aged 18 years or over. Benefits also are subject to application and approval.
Bank of Scotland plc. Registered in Scotland No. SC327000. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under registration number 169628.