Claims – Frequently asked questions

We understand car insurance claims can seem complicated and that you may have a lot of questions. We’ve put together some of the most frequently asked questions customers ask.

  • 1.
    What do I need to do if I have a car accident?

    If you have been involved in a car accident it can be quite distressing. It can also sometimes be difficult to recall specifics later if you’re in shock. If you have been involved in a car accident you don’t have to contact us straight away but we’d recommend calling us within 24 hours if possible while the details are still fresh in your mind.

    Regardless of fault, here are some things you can do at the scene of an accident or incident:

    • stay where you are and don’t drive away
    • check if anyone has been hurt; including yourself. If you think someone may be hurt, call an ambulance straight away
    • don’t immediately admit blame or offer to pay for any damage, this can be established and dealt with during your claim
    • make a note of the other driver‘s name, address, contact details and vehicle registration number. Do the same for any witnesses present at the scene
    • if it is safe to do so, take pictures or a video of the scene and damage to all vehicles, this can be extremely useful. It helps when providing evidence show the extent of any damage and also help us to establish the driving conditions on the day
    • if possible, make a sketch of the scene to show all the vehicles and all the people involved, including witnesses. This is sometimes asked for by insurance companies if there is a dispute about the event.

    If you need to make a claim, please call our 24 hour claims helpline on 0330 0185 561. Our claims consultants will then explain the next steps to you.

    Back to top
  • 2.
    What do I need to do if my car is stolen or damaged?

    If your car has been stolen or damaged, whether it’s from outside your home or elsewhere, you must call the police and file a report. The police will then give you a crime reference number. To report a theft, malicious act or vandalism to the Police, call their non-emergency number on 101 or 18001 101 for text phone users.

    Once you have got a crime reference number from the police, call our 24 hour claims helpline on 0330 0185 561. We can then discuss the details with you, any excess that may be applicable to your car insurance policy and next steps.

    Back to top
  • 3.
    What should I do if my windscreen gets damaged or broken?

    If your windscreen, side or rear windows or sunroof is damaged or broken please call our claims team on 0330 0184 174 or book online.

    If you have a Bank of Scotland Comprehensive Car Insurance policy, your no claims discount will not be affected by your claim. If the glass has to be repaired or replaced, excess charges may apply. Please check your Schedule of Insurance documents. If you don’t have these, you can check your policy online using the "My Account".

    If you do not have a Comprehensive policy, you can still discuss the repairs with our claims team. However, you will need to pay for the cost of the replacement windows or repairs. If you aren’t sure what type of policy you hold, you can find full details of your policy online. Sign into the "My Account" for full details.

    Back to top
  • 4.
    What happens if I have an accident and it’s not my fault?

    Car insurance claims are generally treated as non-fault or fault. We’ll discuss the incident with you and/or any third parties involved in the claim. This will help us to establish how to progress your claim.

    A claim could be considered to be non-fault, if:

    • we don’t have to make a payment to settle the claim
    • payments in relation to the claim can be recovered in full from a third  party and/or their insurance company.

    An example of this could be where you are involved in an accident but the other driver accepts responsibility, resulting in their insurer covering the costs involved.

    Back to top
  • 5.
    How will my claim be handled if I'm not at fault?

    Where a non-fault claim is being made, your claims consultant will discuss the next steps with you.

    If your car is un-driveable it will be recovered from the scene and taken to an approved repairer or a repairer of your choice.

    If you have Guaranteed Replacement Car Cover added on your policy we will send you a car from a leading national network if your car is stolen, written off or un-driveable or you are waiting for a courtesy car to become available.

    Important information: You will need to apply within 14 days of the accident or incident to be eligible for a replacement car. Terms, conditions and exclusions apply to this benefit.

    If you need a courtesy car to use while yours is being repaired, we can arrange this for you with our vehicle rental partner. We will aim to deliver the car the same working day, if your vehicle is un-driveable or for when your car is booked in for repairs.

    Courtesy Car Cover is different to Guaranteed Replacement Car Cover. Courtesy Car Cover won’t be available to you if your car is stolen or written off. Courtesy Car Cover is also dependent on a car being available from the garage, and is only available with comprehensive cover.

    If legal help is required, particularly in relation to any financial losses or injuries you’ve incurred, this can be arranged. We can appoint an appropriate solicitor to act on your behalf based on your location.

    Important information: You may be contacted by third parties offering services to deal with your claim. We only use our own approved providers and do not forward your details to any other parties that are not approved. If you are unsure please take details of the caller and contact us to confirm before providing any of your personal details over the phone.

    Back to top
  • 6.
    What happens if I have a car accident and I'm at fault?

    Car insurance claims are generally treated as non-fault or fault. We’ll discuss the incident with you and/or any third parties involved in the claim. This will help us to establish how to progress your claim.

    It’s important to remember that a fault claim doesn’t necessarily mean that you are to blame. 

    For instance, if your car is damaged by someone while parked outside your house and they don’t leave their details. If a claim is made and we pay for the repairs, this would be classed as a fault claim.

    If a claim is made following an accident we will talk through the details with you to establish if you are solely at fault or jointly responsible.

    We will then:

    • take details of the incident and then pass you to our underwriter to continue your claim
    • if your car is un-driveable it will need to be recovered from the scene and taken to an approved repairer
    • if you need a courtesy car to use while yours is being repaired, this will be arranged for you, subject to availability.
    Back to top
  • 7.
    What will happen if my car needs to be repaired?

    When you call us to report a claim or incident we will advise you to use one of our approved repairers. This will speed up the process and also avoid having to get additional quotes. Any repairs made by our approved repairers will also be covered by a guarantee. 

    You can have repairs carried out by a repairer of your choice. If you decide to get the repairs done quickly, before your insurer has agreed to pay, you will be responsible for these costs until your claim is settled.

    Back to top
  • 8.
    Am I eligible for Guaranteed Replacement Car Cover?

    Yes, if you have taken out Guaranteed Replacement Car Cover as an optional extra with your Car Insurance. 

    We will arrange a replacement car as part of your claim if your car is stolen or written off, or is no longer driveable following a fire, theft or accident.

    Here’s what you can expect:

    • a car will be quickly supplied from a leading national network as long as you claim within 14 days 
    • use of car for up to 28 days.
    Back to top
  • 9.
    What happens to my No Claims Discount (NCD) if I need to make a claim?

    The effect a claim will have on your No Claims Discount (NCD) depends on the type of claim you’re making and whether you’ve opted to protect it.

    Non-fault claims

    If you have a non-fault claim where recovery can be made, or funds can be paid for repair work; it is unlikely to affect your NCD.

    Fault claims

    If you have a fault claim or non-fault claim where recovery can't be made, your NCD will be reduced. 

    This is how your NCD could be reduced:

    • if you have 5 or more years NCD this will be reduced to 3 years
    • if you have less than 5 years your NCD will be reduced by 2 years.

    If you have chosen to protect your NCD, you can make 2 claims during a 3 year period without affecting it. However, any further claims will reduce your NCD.

    Back to top
  • 10.
    Do I have to make a car insurance claim for all accidents or incidents?

    Not all accidents or incidents will result in a claim being made on your policy. It’s your decision whether you want to claim on your insurance or pay for any damage to your vehicle yourself.

    Depending on the excess on your policy, for some smaller repairs it may be cheaper to pay for them yourself rather than making a claim and pay the excess.

    Back to top

Call us to make a claim

When you rely on your car, you can count on us to keep you on the road. If you need to make a claim we’re available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

0330 0185 561tel:03300185561

Bank of Scotland plc. Registered in Scotland No. SC327000. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under registration number 169628.