Using the Mobile Banking app to pay in cheques
Deposit cheques on the move
Deposit cheques on the move
You can now deposit your cheques using the 'Deposit Cheque' feature in the Mobile Banking app. It's simple, secure and can save you time.
- Straightforward - the app takes a photo of the cheque and ‘reads’ the details.
- Quick and Convenient - you can do this from anywhere – no need to pop into branch or to post it to us - and the money is usually available the next working day.
- Secure - once accepted, the cheque is processed just like paying it in at a branch.
Download the app now to use the Deposit cheque feature.
How to pay in cheques with your Mobile Banking app
Tap 'Front of cheque' to scan the cheque.
If asked, 'allow' access to your camera to scan the image.
Lay the cheque on a flat surface with a dark background. Hold camera level and directly above. When a green border appears, hold still and the app will take the photo.
Some important things to bear in mind:
- Once accepted, mark the back of the cheque as 'deposited‘ and keep the original paper cheque for 10 days, until its status reads ‘Funds available’ in the ‘Deposit History’ tab. Then destroy the cheque(s) - tearing or shredding are good ways to do this securely.
- There are limits to the amounts on individual cheques and the total value of cheques you can pay in each day – these will be clearly displayed in the app.
- We don’t charge a fee for using this service. You may incur charges from your mobile network provider, for data usage – especially if you’re doing this out of the UK.
- The ‘Deposit History’ tab is a good place to view cheques paid in previously.
- If a cheque is rejected please do not try to pay it in with the app again – the reason for rejection will be shown in ‘Deposit History’.
- If the cheque is made out to joint names, it can only be deposited into a joint account held in those names.
Pay in a cheque - frequently asked questions
It's a way to pay in cheques using your mobile device. The app uses your device camera to capture an image of the cheque and 'reads' the details to pay the money into your account. It's simple, convenient and secure – and can save you a trip to a branch.
You can deposit most types of cheque accepted by UK banks and in pounds sterling. This includes UK Government Payable Orders, postal orders, bankers' drafts and Building Society cheques – but not travellers' cheques, bank giro credits and various non-standard cheques. If we don' accept a particular type of cheque, the app will tell you when you try to take the image.
Funds will normally be available in your account at the end of the next working day. So, if you deposit a cheque before 10pm on a normal weekday, that’s classed as the first working day. Your money will be available by the end of the following working day.