We'll manage your money while you concentrate on study.
Features and benefits
- Fee-free arranged overdraft (of up to £1,500 in years 1-3 and up to £2,000 in years 4-6 (available if aged 18 or over).
- Get a free TOTUM card – Enjoy a TOTUM card absolutely free for up to three years, giving you access to over 200 UK discounts on the high street and online PLUS 42,000 discounts worldwide with a free ISIC.
- Easy access to your account via Internet Banking and the Mobile Banking app, Telephone Banking, plus any of our branches in Scotland.
- Earn up to 15% cashback with Everyday Offers.
- You’ll get a Bank of Scotland Visa debit card enabled for contactless payments, providing a faster way to pay for your everyday essentials.
You can apply for the Bank of Scotland Student Account if:
- You're aged 17 or over (to apply for an arranged overdraft, you have to be 18 or over)
- You've lived at a permanent UK address for the past 3 years
- You’re studying on a full-time course that lasts for at least two years, or on a one year access course leading onto a full-time degree.
How to apply for the Student Account
Apply for our Student account using our simple application form. You will need to be aged 17 or over, on a degree course or equivalent full time education and have been a permanent UK resident for the past 3 years.
You will need to go to a branch once your application is successful to provide staff with the following:
- Your UCAS confirmation of place letter or a letter from your university or college confirming your place
- Proof of ID such as your driving licence
- Proof of address (anything official with your name on it that's less than three months old, but not a mobile phone bill
You can also apply for a Student Account at your nearest Bank of Scotland branch.
Got any questions? Call us on 0345 721 3141 (Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Sat 8am-6pm and Sun 9am-5pm). Or just ask a member of our team when you visit us in branch.
Sometimes we need to plan for the unexpected and having an Arranged Overdraft limit set up can provide you with the flexibility of extra money to help tide you over.
The Student Account comes with a Fee-free arranged overdraft of up to £1,500 in years 1-3 and up to £2,000 in years 4-6.
When you graduate, we’ll still be here to help, converting your student account to a graduate account which also provides a fee-free offering.
The amount of your arranged overdraft that is fee-free will depend on your year of study.
For Student Account
student account overdraft
Years 2 & 3
Years 4, 5 & 6
In your second year, if you use an Arranged Overdraft of £1,200 on your Student Account, then we’ll charge you a daily arranged overdraft fee of £0.
How do I get my free TOTUM card?
All you need to do is apply and open your Student Account by 31 October 2019. TOTUM will then send you a unique promotional code, which you’ll need to order your first free card. Your promotional code will be valid until 31 December 2019 and the sooner you order your free TOTUM card the sooner you’ll be able to start saving.
How and when will I get my unique promotional code?
Your unique promotional code will be sent by email and SMS from TOTUM, so please ensure we have your up to date details. Codes will be sent out within 15 working days of opening your account. If you’re eligible for the offer and don’t receive your code after 28 days, please visit a branch and speak to a member of staff.
How long will it take for me to receive my TOTUM card?
Once you’ve applied, TOTUM will send you your free card within 10 working days. You will be able to access your TOTUM card details immediately by downloading the TOTUM app and logging in. Your 2019/2020 TOTUM card will be valid until 30 September 2020, regardless of when you apply for your card. You must order your free TOTUM card by 31 December 2019.
Where can I use my TOTUM card?
Partners include big names such as 40% off at Café Rouge and Las Iguanas, 25% off student ticket prices at Odeon, 10% off at The Co-op, plus discounts from Apple, 16-25 Railcard, National Express, Superdrug, New Look, Jack Wills, Zavvi, PizzaExpress, ASOS, CrossCountry Trains, Missguided, Domino’s and Thorpe Park plus many more. Have a look at the fantastic range of discounts that you could enjoy at TOTUM.com. To see where you can save money when you are on the go you can download the TOTUM App.
TOTUM discount partners are subject to change. All details are correct as of 04/06/19
When you are no longer eligible for the Student Account, for example you graduate from your course, we will convert your account to a Graduate Account, unless you make alternative arrangements with us.
If you are not eligible for a Graduate Account (for example you leave full-time study before graduating) we will convert your account to a Classic Account (or similar account if it is no longer available).
You can apply for a tiered fee-free Arranged Overdraft (subject to application and approval). Up to £2,000 in your first year after graduation, £1,500 in your second year and £1,000 in your third year.
Choosing the right account for you
To apply for a Bank of Scotland Student Account you must be 17 or over and be studying for a full-time course that lasts for a minimum of two years or be on a one year access course leading onto a full-time degree.
Information for International students applying for a Classic Account
- Free everyday banking - Stay in credit and you won’t have to pay monthly maintaining the account fees. Bank your way with Internet Banking, Telephone Banking, Mobile Banking, in-branch, and also get free mobile alerts.
- Debit card - You can use your Visa debit card to shop online and in over 500,000 locations in the UK and 27 million worldwide.
- Cash withdrawals - You can withdraw up to £500 a day from a Bank of Scotland Cashpoint or other cash machines.
- No overdraft - International Students who have lived in the UK for less than 3 years are not eligible for an overdraft.
Ways to apply
Applying for an account online can be a convenient way to open an account but do bear in mind that you will be required to provide proof of identification and address at a Bank of Scotland branch to complete your application.
Classic Account details
What documents can I bring?
After applying for a current account online, you will need to provide proof of your identity and address at your nearest branch within 14 days so we can continue with your application. All documents must be the most recent ones. We don’t accept expired documents or documents printed off the internet.
We need to see one of the following documents.
This document must show your full name. You can choose from the following:
- current United Kingdom, European Union or European Economic Area photo driving licence
- Current UK / EU / EEA passport
- EU / EEA identity card
- all other current signed passports with a valid UK visa
- benefits or pensions notification letter confirming the right to benefit
- current UK non-photo driving licence
- blue disabled driver’s pass.
We need to see one of the following documents.
This document must show your full name and current address. You can choose from the following:
- bank, credit card or building society statement showing transactions
- current UK driving licence (if it hasn’t been used as proof of your identity)
- utility bill
- Local authority tax bill for current year
- benefits of pensions notification letter confirming the right to benefit (if it hasn’t been used as proof of your identity)
- original letter on headed paper issued by educational institution confirming place on a course (must confirm full name, UK and overseas address, start and end date of course).
We reserve the right to ask for additional documents. If you don’t have the documents listed above, we may be able to accept others so please speak to a member of staff if you have any questions about this or any of our services.
We may monitor and record calls.
Bank of Scotland plc, Registered in Scotland No. SC327000. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under registration number 169628.