Help and information - Brexit
If you're concerned about Brexit and the impact to your existing car insurance policy, we're here to help. Find out the latest information and what the changes could mean for you.
You may have heard in the news that in the event of a no deal Brexit, customers who will be driving in the EU after the UK leaves, may be required under EU regulations to obtain a Green Card from their insurer as proof of insurance. We are here to help explain how this can affect you if you’re driving in the EU or EEA after this date.
How can a no-deal Brexit affect you when driving in the EU or EEA?
Although nobody knows yet exactly what is going to happen when we leave the EU on the 31st October 2019, there’s one thing we do know; after this date, you may need to show a Green Card as proof your car is insured, if:
- you are driving a UK registered vehicle in the EU or EEA (which includes driving in the Republic of Ireland).
- the European Commission decides that UK registered vehicles DO NEED to prove valid car insurance in the event of a no-deal Brexit.
You may also need to show a separate, additional Green Card if you will be towing a trailer or caravan.
If you are driving in the EU or EEA without a Green Card, you may be breaking the law.
How to get a Green Card?
If we provide car insurance for you then here’s what you need to know about getting a Green Card:
- you will need to call us on 0330 0184 175 21 days before driving in the EU (even if you drove into the EU before 31st October) to discuss your travel plans and get a Green Card sent to you in time.
- currently, we do not charge our customers for sending them a Green Card.
- it takes 5 working days to process a Green Card request and will be sent in the post so please give time for this.
Please keep an eye on these websites for further updates on any changes to Green Card requirements:
Bank of Scotland plc. Registered in Scotland No. SC327000. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under registration number 169628.