Appoint someone to manage your affairs

Why would I use this service?

A trusted person can help you manage your account and finances. This could be a family member, friend or neighbour.

There are a number of reasons why someone may need to act on your behalf. You may be living abroad or have serious health conditions.

The person you choose can help you manage your finances in a variety of ways.  Choosing the right option will depend on your situation and needs.

You can choose to allow one of the following types of access to your accounts:

  • A third party mandate arrangement – this allows someone to help when you need support with everyday banking either in branch or over the phone.
  • Power of Attorney – this gives someone the legal authority to deal with third parties such as banks or the local council on your behalf, and in some cases the legal power to make a decision on your behalf such as where you should live.
  • A deputy appointed by the Court of Protection – in this case, a court will appoint someone on your behalf if you are unable to do so.

You can find out more about the types of access in the Different access types section.

Different access types

There are several types of access available. You can easily choose one to suit your needs.

Find out more

Plan your next steps

Need a hand? Our step by step guide will help you register a trusted person to manage your account and finances.

Find out more

I’d like to help someone manage their finances

Find useful information for family, friends and support organisations.

Find out more

What access do I need?

Complete a series of questions to determine what access is appropriate for your needs

For further advice and information, contact the Office of the Public Guardian (Office of Care and Protection in Northern Ireland) or your solicitor and also read our Appointing someone to manage your affairs (PDF).

How to register

Find out how quick and easy it is to get started by booking an appointment in branch by calling us on 0345 300 0051. Lines are open 8am - 8pm, seven days a week.

You need to take the following with you:

  • 2 forms of identification, one showing your name, one showing your address. Please refer to our list of acceptable identification.
  • The original legal documentation, or a copy certified by a solicitor, notary or donor/granter.
  • Proof of address if the person you are acting for has changed address since the legal document agreed.

Once we’ve got what we need, we’ll register the documents while you’re in the branch with the support of our specialist team.

Have your circumstances changed since you first set up access for someone to help manage your financial affairs? Don’t worry, we are here to help!

Change of address

If you or the named representative(s) change address you will need to tell us about it. You can do this by calling us or visiting your local branch.

When a marriage or civil partnership ends

If you and the named representative are married to each other or in a civil partnership and separate, the arrangement will come to an end unless the legal document states otherwise. This applies to all types of Power of Attorney, but not to court appointments such as deputyship or guardianship.


You must notify us if the representative passes away and supply us with the death certificate or an updated Lasting Power of Attorney document stamped by the Office of the Public Guardian confirming the deceased (if applicable). You must also notify us if the account holder passes away and supply us with the death certificate.

Other Reasons

There can be other circumstances that bring an agreement to an end. Contact the Office of the Public Guardian or the court for more information.