General bank account enquiries
- 1. Jump to Reporting a lost or stolen card
- 2. Jump to Setting up standing orders
- 3. Jump to Making payments
- 4. Jump to Statements
- 5. Jump to Internet Banking
- 6. Jump to Mobile banking
- 7. Jump to Mobile alerts
- 8. Jump to Telephone Banking
- 9. Jump to Changing your details (name, address, telephone number)
- 10. Jump to Joint accounts
- 11. Jump to Cash withdrawal limits
- 12. Jump to Ordering a replacement cheque book, debit card or PIN
- 13. Jump to Closing your account
- 14. Jump to About midata
- 15. Jump to Switching to an account outside the UK?
Setting up standing orders
Register for Internet Banking and you can set up standing orders quickly and easily.
Alternatively, phone us on 0345 721 3141, if you are calling from abroad or would prefer not to use the 0345 number, you can call us on +44 (0) 1313 37 42 18. Lines open 7am - 11pm, seven days a week.Back to top
Transfer money with Internet Banking
Internet Banking makes transferring your money quick and convenient. Find out how to register for Internet Banking.
You can set up Direct Debits to pay regular bills automatically, such as electricity bills or insurance through your bank account. These need to be set up directly with the organisation you will be making payments to.
To cancel an existing Direct Debit select 'More Actions' on the account you need to manage. Choose 'Manage direct debit' button under 'Direct debits & standing orders' section, then select the 'Cancel' button next to the Direct Debit you require cancelling. At the confirmation screen you will be asked to enter your password to confirm your changes. Once you have entered your password select the 'Confirm' button.
Remember you should always inform the organisation receiving the payments if you cancel a Direct Debit before final payment has been made. Find out more about Direct Debits.Back to top
Internet Banking lets you view your transactions for up to 6 years. Find out information in our paper-free section. You can also request a free paper statement if you have stopped paper statements and have not previously received a paper copy.
Questioning a transaction on your statement
If you are unsure about a transaction on your statement, feel free to phone us on 0345 721 3141, if you are calling from abroad or would prefer not to use the 0345 number, you can call us on +44 (0) 1313 37 42 18. Lines open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for existing customers.Back to top
Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and backed by our online fraud guarantee, you can bank quickly and safely, whenever and wherever you want. Everything from checking your balance to transferring money can all be done with our Internet Banking service. Visit our Internet Banking area to find out more.Back to top
Available for a range of mobile devices, you can now bank on the move with Mobile Banking. Features include viewing balances and transaction history, transfer money between your personal Bank of Scotland accounts, transfer money to new and existing recipients and manage your existing overdraft. All of this from your mobile. Find out more about Mobile Banking.Back to top
It’s important to monitor your account regularly to make sure you have enough funds to make any payments due. Our mobile alerts service offers a simple way to stay on top of your finances without even having to think about it.
To help you minimise charges we’ll let you know by text when:
- You're about to use or you've started using your arranged overdraft.
- We’ve started to charge you for using an arranged overdraft.
- To stop these alerts, text STOPA to 64447 or to opt back in, text STARTA to the same number.
To help you manage your balance we’ll let you know by text when:
- You need to pay money into the account to cover a standing order.
- We refuse a payment.
- You’re about to use or have started using an unarranged overdraft.
Find out more about mobile alertsBack to top
Use our security feature Voice ID to make it easier to call Telephone Banking. It lets you access your accounts simply by using your voice. Learn more about Voice ID. Call 0345 850 1022 to register today. Calls to 03 numbers are charged at no more than local rate. If you need to call us from abroad, you can call us on +44 131 278 3717.
Lines are open 24/7 and our advisers are available 7am to 11pm if you'd like more information.
Not all Telephone Banking services are available seven days a week, 24 hours a day. Please speak to an adviser for more information.Back to top
Changing your details (name, address, telephone number)
Changing your name
Visit our Help Centre to find out the different ways you can update your name. If you wish to do this in branch, you may wish to make an appointment. You will need to bring evidence of the name change, for example a marriage certificate or deed poll.
Changing your address
Visit our Help Centre to find out the different ways you can update your address and details of which documents are acceptable. If you wish to change your address in branch, you may wish to make an appointment.
Changing your telephone number
You can update your telephone number if you are registered for Internet Banking, simply log in and follow our on-screen instructions. For your security, when you update a telephone number online it may be 2 days before we can use this number to verify instructions that you give us in Internet Banking such as setting up a new payment.
Alternatively, you can phone us on 0345 721 3141 (7am - 11pm, seven days a week) or at your nearest branch.Back to top
- Two people using one account - A simple way to share spends and see them on one monthly statement
- Both account holders get a Visa debit card
- Both account holders can also separately set up and manage Internet Banking
Open a joint account or add another person to an existing account
- Visit us in branch and our staff will be happy to help. In busier periods when staff may not be immediately available, we’ll be happy to book an appointment for a later date. Alternatively, make an appointment at your local branch.
- Don’t forget to take identification and if the second person is not an existing Bank of Scotland customer they will need to provide identification - view acceptable forms of identification.
Looking to switch your joint account to us?
- Ensure you add the other account holder to your new account before completing your switch
Please be aware of the following:
- Both account holders must be aged 18 or over
- Student Current Account and Under 19s accounts cannot be made into joint accounts
- Both people named on the account are individually and jointly responsible for any debts on the joint account
- Credit reference agencies often create a financial link or association between people who have a joint account. Meaning that the financial situation of the other person on the account could affect your credit rating
- Both people named can use the account benefits and features without needing the approval of the other
Remove someone from a joint account
A request to remove someone from your bank account can be made in branch and will only be accepted where the account is in credit.Back to top
Cash withdrawal limits
You can withdraw up to £500 a day from any cash machine. You can also make cash withdrawals over the counter in any Bank of Scotland branch. When making large withdrawals, you will need to prove your identity.Back to top
Ordering a replacement cheque book, debit card or PIN
If your cheque book is lost or stolen, call us on 0800 0 288 335 - lines are open 24 hours a day. We will cancel the cheque book and send you a replacement. There is no charge for this service. If you reach the end of your cheque book and have not received a new one, please call the number above and we will send you one.
You can request a replacement card or PIN through Internet Banking. Simply log in and fill in our online form. Alternatively phone us on 0345 721 3141, if you are calling from abroad or would prefer not to use the 0345 number, you can call us on +44 (0) 1313 37 42 18. Lines open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for existing customers.
Your replacement card or PIN usually takes around 3-5 working ways to arrive by post. Once you have received your replacement PIN you can change or unlock it at most UK cash machines.Back to top
Closing your account
To close your current account, please either make an appointment at your nearest branch or write to us at:
Bank of Scotland
Account Closure Team
PO Box 548
Have you considered switching to one of our other current accounts, which may better suit your banking needs? You can compare all the current accounts we offer to find the right one for you.Back to top
When you bank, shop or pay a bill, this information can form a picture of your spending and shopping habits. midata gives greater access to your personal data and the ability to use it, as it can be helpful when choosing suitable products and services.
A midata file shows your previous 12 months spending and banking history, without any information like your name, address or date of birth.
To download a midata file, simply log in to Internet Banking and select the ‘More actions’ button under your bank account. You can find midata under the ‘Account services’ menu.Back to top
Switching to an account outside the UK?
You can’t use the UK Current Account Switch Service to move your regular credits and debits to a bank account in another EU country, but we can provide you with information that will help you to move them yourself.
Obtaining information on your regular payments
You can obtain information on all regular payments into your account (e.g. salary, dividends etc) and regular payments out of your account (Direct Debits, Standing Orders etc) either in branch or over the telephone. Alternatively, you can follow these simple steps online:
- Payments out of your account
- Log in to Online Banking and select the appropriate account
- Select ‘More Actions’
- Select Direct Debits and Standing Orders
All your regular payments including the person you are paying (recipient), amount, frequency and date last paid is displayed.
Payments into your account
For any payments into your account or other information you may need you can click on ‘Search your Statement’ and search for any specific transactions or transaction types (NB: searches can go back several years but are limited to blocks of 90 day periods)
Once you’ve retrieved all the information you need you can then print the page(s). To redirect payments made to your account with us to your new account, you will need to contact the person or company that makes the payment and give them your new account details. To make payments from your new account, you will need to set up a new payment instruction with your new bank.
Transferring your balance to a new account
This can be done in branch subject to provision of suitable ID; there are no transaction value limits.
Alternatively transactions up to £5,000 can be made by calling Telephone Banking on 0345 721 3141 or online (for limits up to £100,000 for single transactions)
If you would like to transfer your balance using internet banking/online Banking
- Log into Online Banking, select the appropriate account then Payments and Transfers
- Select International transfers
- Complete the required fields using your new bank’s details.
Fees and timescales for transfers
Closing your account:
Once you’ve redirected any regular payments and transferred your balance you can close your account in branch or we’ll be happy to help you over the telephone, you can call us on 0345 721 3141 and we will provide you with a form.Back to top