A current account packed with benefits for only £21 per month.
Open a Platinum Account to take advantage of a range of useful benefits, such as travel insurance, AA breakdown cover and mobile phone insurance. You can also earn interest on your credit balance by adding Vantage during the application.
Get all of these benefits plus much more for a £21 monthly fee to maintain the account.
- There is cover for emergency medical assistance overseas if you fall ill (including being diagnosed with an epidemic or pandemic disease)
- There is cancellation cover if you or your travelling companion are refused boarding on booked transport if the carrier or a Government authority will not let you travel because, at the point of boarding, you or they are showing symptoms of a contagious disease
- There is cancellation cover for anyone booked to travel and covered under the policy if they, or a companion they are travelling with, are asked to quarantine on an individual basis because of exposure to a contagious disease
- There won’t be cover if you’re abroad and you are instructed to return home, or choose to leave early to avoid having to quarantine when you get home due to the risk of exposure to a contagious disease. The instruction to return home could be from the UK Government or from the government of the country you’re visiting
- There is no cover for any amount recoverable from any other source such as your airline or your accommodation provider
- There is no cover if you choose not to or cannot travel because the FCDO (or any other equivalent government body) advises against travel due to a pandemic
Cover for any medical conditions under this policy: you may need to declare these, agree cover with Allianz Assistance and an additional premium may apply. If this affects you contact Allianz Assistance directly to find out more.
You might want to visit the MoneyHelper service, which lists firms offering travel insurance for customers with medical conditions. This could help if you’ve been offered cover with a high premium, been refused, or have had cover cancelled due to medical conditions. Think about what might suit your needs best and who you need specialist cover for. For more information access the directory, or call them on 0800 138 7777 (Mon – Fri 8am to 6pm).
You can find out more on the benefits, conditions and exclusions here.
Bear in mind that there are other accounts available to you that provide banking facilities without additional benefits, and which do not have a monthly maintaining the account fee.
Additional account benefits
Earn interest - you could earn up to 1.50% Annual Equivalent RateThis illustrates what the interest rate would be if interest was paid and compounded once each year. This allows you to compare more easily what return you can expect over time. (1.49% gross p.a.) variable interest on the part of your balance between £4,000 and £5,000 with our free Vantage add on. Lower balances will earn a lower rate. You'll need to meet some conditions to earn interest. Please read these carefully.
Up to 15% Cashback - with Everyday Offers when you pay by credit/debit card or Direct Debit at selected retailers. Merchant offers and cashback amounts vary. Terms and conditions apply.
Save the Change - round up your card payments to the nearest pound to save as you spend.
Mobile Banking app - highly secure and packed with features to make banking fast and convenient wherever you are.
Contactless payments - pay, tap & go with a Visa Debit Card up to £100. You can now use our mobile banking app to choose a contactless payment limit between £30 & £95. You can also add your card to Apple Pay and Google.
Preferential travel money rates – Benefit from improved rates on your travel money.
An arranged overdraft can act as a short term safety net. You can use it to borrow money up to an agreed limit through your bank account.
- You can apply to add an arranged overdraft to your account and you’ll only pay daily arranged overdraft interest if you use it.
- If you use your arranged overdraft but pay it back before the end of the day, then you won’t pay any arranged overdraft interest for that day.
Applying for an arranged overdraft – When you have applied for this account, at the end of the application you can apply for an arranged overdraft which you can add right away. You can also apply for one later.
Amending an arranged overdraft - You can reduce or remove your arranged overdraft at any time through Mobile Banking, Internet Banking or Telephone Banking or by visiting your branch. But you must repay anything you owe if you want to remove an arranged overdraft or anything over the new reduced limit you want. You can also apply to increase it. This application won't affect your credit score.
If you don't have enough money in your account or available arranged overdraft to make a payment, we may either let you borrow through an unarranged overdraft or refuse to make the payment. Missing payments and using an unarranged overdraft can damage your credit score, please get in touch with us as we may be able to help you.
Applying for this product does not improve your eligibility for an arranged overdraft.
All overdrafts are subject to application and repayable on demand. You must be 18 or over to apply.
Arranged overdraft details
- £50 interest free amount
- 39.9% EAR (variable) representative
- Your interest rate will be based on how you manage any accounts you have with us and on the credit information we hold about you
- No unarranged overdraft interest, fees or charges
How does our overdraft compare?
You can use the representative APR to compare with other products or credit providers, this can help you make sure that you chose the right type of borrowing for you.
If you already have a current account with us, you can apply for an arranged overdraft through Internet Banking or Mobile Banking. You can also apply to increase your existing arranged overdraft limit too.
Earn variable credit interest on balances of £1 - £5,000 by adding Vantage.
Vantage is free to add to your Classic Account. You could earn 0.60% Annual Equivalent RateThis illustrates what the interest rate would be if interest was paid and compounded once each year. This allows you to compare more easily what return you can expect over time./gross p.a. variable on balances between £1 and £3,999, and 1.50% Annual Equivalent RateThis illustrates what the interest rate would be if interest was paid and compounded once each year. This allows you to compare more easily what return you can expect over time. (1.49% gross p.a.) variable on balances between £4,000 and £5,000. You won’t earn interest on any balance over £5,000. Simply add it when you apply.
To earn interest, each calendar month you need to pay at least £1,000 into your account, keep your balance above £0, and pay out at least two different Direct Debits.
Interest is paid monthly. You’ll never be charged for having Vantage.
Visit the Vantage page for more information.
Earn up to 15% cashback with Everyday Offers.
To be eligible for Everyday Offers you need to be over 18, have a Bank of Scotland current account, a Bank of Scotland debit and/or credit card and be registered for Internet Banking. Once you’ve activated Everyday Offers, just activate each offer to earn cashback on your next purchase.
A joint account is a simple way for two people to share the same bank account. It gives both of you the same ownership rights to the account, as well as:
- A Visa Debit Card each
- Joint access to set up and manage online banking
- One monthly statement
- If requested, a cheque book each
Opening a joint account
You have two options when you are looking to open a joint account:
Online and In-Branch - One of you can get the process started by opening an account online. You will both need to book an appointment in branch and then both attend to make this a joint account.
In-Branch - Both of you can open your joint account from start to finish at one of our branches. You will need to book an appointment in branch and then both come along.
Please ensure you bring the correct forms of identification to your branch appointment - view acceptable forms of identification.
If you area an existing Bank of Scotland account holder, a bank card can be used as identification.
We have designed the Current Account Switch Service to let you switch your current account from one bank or building society to another in a simple, reliable and stress-free way. It will only take seven working days. As your new current-account provider we offer the following guarantee.
- The service is free to use and you can choose and agree your switch date with us.
- We will take care of moving all your payments going out (for example, your Direct Debits and standing orders) and those coming in (for example, your salary).
- If you have money in your old account, we will transfer it to your new account on your switch date.
- We will arrange for payments accidentally made to your old account to be automatically redirected to your new account. We will also contact the sender and give them your new account details.
- If there are any issues in making the switch, we will contact you before your switch date.
- If anything goes wrong with the switch, as soon as we are told, we will refund any interest (paid or lost) and charges made on either your old or new current accounts as a result of this failure.
For more information and FAQs, please read the Account Switching Guide (PDF, 2.33MB)