Coronavirus support

NHS and Care Workers

As our way of saying thanks for supporting those affected by the coronavirus: personal items of NHS and care workers that are damaged, lost or stolen while they're at work or commuting will be covered under their standard contents policy at no extra cost during the pandemic. Thank you.

You're eligible for this cover if:

  • you hold a current contents home insurance policy, and
  • you, or a family member who lives with you, work for the NHS or are a care worker.

Where are my personal belongings covered?

Your personal items will be covered while you're at work and when you're commuting to and from work.

What type of things are covered?

Any personal items that you own and that you wear, use or carry in your everyday life.

How long will the cover be in place for?

We’ll cover your belongings until 30 September 2021 but we will review this date as the situation evolves.

If you need to claim:

  • Please let us know that you or a family member are an NHS or care worker
  • We may ask you for a form of ID to verify your claim
  • We may also ask for proof of ownership, such as a receipt or photo. This is in line with our normal claims process

Working from home

I’m having to work from home, am I covered?

  • If you’re temporarily working from home using a computer, making calls or doing paperwork this does not affect your policy and you don’t need to do anything
  • Work equipment owned by your employer would be covered by their insurance. If you own the equipment then it will be covered under your policy
  • If you’re doing other work from home, such as making things or offering services like hairdressing, or if you have more than 10 visitors a week, then please contact us check you have the correct cover in place.


If your property is empty

Am I covered if my home is empty for longer than normal?

Your home is normally covered as long as you don’t leave it empty for more than 30 days. This is 60 days for some policies. But, if your home is empty for longer than this due to the coronavirus, you're still covered. If this applies to you, you’ll need to let us know, so please contact us.

If your living situation has changed

Someone else is living with me. What should I do?

If you have a friend or family member living with you due to the coronavirus, please contact us so we can discuss your situation.

Bank of Scotland plc. Registered in Scotland No. SC327000. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under registration number 169628.